Re: WAS Re: debian 8 NOW game keyboard config

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:39:31PM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
On 04/11/2015 04:31 PM, Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
>On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:00:11 -0400
>Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 04/11/2015 03:05 PM, Reco wrote:
>>>dpkg-reconfigure -plow keyboard-configuration
>>
>>ric@iam:~$ sudo su -
>>[sudo] password for ric:
>>root@iam:~# dpkg-reconfigure -plow keyboard-configuration
>>update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported;
>>falling back to defaults
>>update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported;
>>falling back to defaults
>>root@iam:~#
>>
>>Err... does that mean nothing happened?
>
>Yes and no. Yes, because dpkg-reconfigure did not ask you any questions
>(and with priority=low it should ask you at least some).
>No, because debconf was run.
>
>Unless you provide an output of 'strace -f dpkg-reconfigure -plow
>keyboard-configuration' - that will remain a mystery.
>

>>Is there a single file tucked  away someplace with the keyboard layout?
>>Using XFCE desktop on Jessie with systemd enabled.
>
>/etc/default/keyboard should have it all. Unless, of course, you have:
>
>- some 'accessibility options' enabled (meaning - some application
>'helpfully' stealing your Shift, Ctrl or Alt keypresses)
>- overridden keyboard layout switch by means of XFCE
>(xfce4-xkb-plugin)
>- binded Ctrl keypresses for some hotkey (gtk-can-change-accels)
>- using ibus (or some other Input Method™)
>- used some systemd helper to override /etc/default/keyboard (localectl)
>
>Basically, the more software you have installed - the more
>possibilities you have the things to go haywire.
>

>>Here's what happened:
>>
>>I was playing warzone2100 and got finger fumbled setting a group of
>>trucks to group 5, (using ctrl 5).
>
>So, long story short - you have misbehaving Ctrl key (possibly others
>too) in any SDL1 application. Took 5 minutes (and several roundtrips
>from their git to their wiki) to figure the dependencies of this
>'warzone2100', and did I mention how I hate it when upstream tries their
>best to hide dependencies?
>
>Try replacing xfwm4 (aka stock XFCE4 window manager) with something
>else, say, openbox. See how it goes then.

I did just that per your suggestion. Warzone2100 STILL does it. But,
if I boot Ubuntu on another drive on the same machine, no problem.

You're an changing an awful lot with that reboot. Starting with systemd
→ upstart for example.

So, I dinked something up pecurliar to Debian/XCFE. Again, all three
versions of Warzone I jhave installed each has it's own dot config
directory. Here's the keyboard file:
---------------------
ric@iam:/etc/default$ more keyboard
# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc104"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

BACKSPACE="guess"
ric@iam:/etc/default$
Nothing strange there.

Indeed. The usual run-of-the-mill single-layout preferences.

I dug through all of the .config directories
and found nothing glaring. So, I created a new user and the same
thing happens. Ergo, it is system wide??

Did you check /etc/xdg?

If there's nothing fishy in there too - I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Reco

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html