Re: debian 8

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 13:04:28 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2015 12:46:34 Bret Busby wrote:
> > On 13/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > I do not know if this will solve your problem, but I found a
> > > manual for what I believe is your machine on Acer's website, and
> > > put it on my Dropbox account for you:
> > >
> > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/09lfo01vnl9z9d7/UM_asE5-571_531_551_521_51
> > >1_EN_Win8.1_v2.pdf?dl=0
> > >
> For those of us who would like to follow along and possoible learn
> something, but who do NOT have a dropbox account for one reason or
> the other, chief among them some copyright grabbing language in the
> T.O.S., I would remind you that dropboxes policy now is to show a
> sign in or join panel on top of any visible content for about 2
> seconds, then clearing the screen and reloading the page which takes
> 3 or 4 seconds.

I just copied that link myself and opened it in Firefox. A "sign in or
log on" box was displayed, which I closed without doing either (click
on the "X"), and then got a page containing the name of the file with a
button marked "Download". I clicked the button, and got a menu with the
choices "direct download", and "download to my Dropbox". Clicking the
first downloaded the pdf in the normal fashion.

What, apart from using JavaScript (which I agree is not desirable), is
problematic?

> IOW, we cannot see whats at the link.

I could.

> Is there not another service that is more "friendly" to the use its
> used for?

Not that many that has Linux clients, unfortunately. I know of only two
- Google Drive (unofficial client only, and I dislike Google), and
CloudMe (where I haven't got any free space right now).

I could have posted the original link, but since I had to download a
zip and unpack it to see if the manual contained any information on
removing the battery in the first place, I just posted the link to
the pdf itself as that seemed simpler.

I was honestly just trying to help the OP in a way that was easy for us
both, and since my mother manages to download the files I put on
Dropbox for her, I just assumed it would be an acceptable solution.

Anyway, it's all academic now, as I've emailed the pdf to Bret.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"