Re: debian 8

On 14/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:

<snip>

> I am also a little wary of his statement that it took them two _weeks_
> to examine a machine he delivered to them for service. Where I live, a
> small place in Norway, the people I use will normally do things within
> a few hours. And it's not like they have lots of competition, either.

When I took the computer in, they told me that the delay was due to
their workload, and I believe that they were working on the premise
that it was likely something alot more than it ended up being, such as
a failed motherboard; but, even for a ten to fifteen minute job, if
they stopped what they were working on, to deal with problems that are
brought into them, as the new problems are brough in to them, they
would take much longer to complete the work that they had been working
on. It is a principle used in operating system task scheduling, with
(I believe) pre-emptive multitasking - unless a particular task has
higher priority, my understanding is that scheduling works on a FIFO
(First In, First Out) basis, so that work is done in the order that it
is received, and, if they had a backlog, with them being the sole
service provider, I simply had to wait my turn. It is queue
processing, as in a linked list - where additions to the list, are
added at the tail of the list, and, removals are removed from the head
of the list.

The shop where I took the computer to have it repaired, was a
contractor that was the sole provider for the Perth (capital of
Western Australia) metropolitan area, for servicing under a retail
chain's extended warranty service. And, it was a claim under an
extended warranty.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale