Re: debian 8

On 13/04/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):
>> As I have previously stated, elsewhere, I have not been able to get a
>> screensaver and screenlock, to properly run, on Debian 7; the only
>> thing that I have found, so far, is the trojan horse that is part of
>> the xfce interface, and, on a previous occasion, as what had appeared
>> to have been an orderly system shutdown, apparently failed (the system
>> shut down, but then led to a system failure, with no power lights or
>> anything, on trying to later, power up the computer), requiring the
>> system to be taken to a hardware service place for repair, and, as I
>> have as yet been unable to get Debian 7 to find a connected (and yes,
>> connected and powered up, before booting the computer) external
>> monitor, on two separte compters "running" Debian 7, then, yes, I
>> believe that my experience is that Debian 7 still has a way to go,
>> before it is functional and stable.
>>
>> Debian 7, to me, is still "testing", and, it is very testing.
>>
>> It has certainly made a fool of me, having caused me to take a
>> computer to a hardware service place, about 40km away, for hardware
>> repair, due to what was done to the system, by Debian 7.
>
> What did they find out was wrong with it?

What they told me, is that the problem was solved by removing the
battery, for about 15 minutes, then reinstalling the battery, and that
the cause is that sometimes, operating systems do not shutdown
properly.

Before they fixed it, atfer the last time that the computer had been
last used and shutdown and put away, when the computer was connected
to the power pack, no lights (including the power light), came on,
and, when the power button was pressed, to turn it on, nothing
happened; no lights or anything else, and the same applied, with the
battery in it. I had had the impression that the computer had died,
and, at first (when I took the computer to them), they said that it
was possible that the motherboard had failed. A step in their
diagnostic procedure, was the removal of the battery, as described.

According to them, the whole of the problem, was the failure of the
last used operating system, to properly shutdown.

The computer works (as much as Debian 7 works, which, in itself, is an
issue) fine, now, after they fixed it.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale