Re: debian 8

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:28:57 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > I am also a little wary of his statement that it took them two
> > _weeks_ to examine a machine he delivered to them for service.
> > Where I live, a small place in Norway, the people I use will
> > normally do things within a few hours. And it's not like they have
> > lots of competition, either.
> >

> When I took the computer in, they told me that the delay was due to
> their workload, and I believe that they were working on the premise
> that it was likely something alot more than it ended up being, such as
> a failed motherboard; but, even for a ten to fifteen minute job, if
> they stopped what they were working on, to deal with problems that are
> brought into them, as the new problems are brough in to them, they
> would take much longer to complete the work that they had been working
> on. It is a principle used in operating system task scheduling, with
> (I believe) pre-emptive multitasking - unless a particular task has
> higher priority, my understanding is that scheduling works on a FIFO
> (First In, First Out) basis, so that work is done in the order that it
> is received, and, if they had a backlog, with them being the sole
> service provider, I simply had to wait my turn. It is queue
> processing, as in a linked list - where additions to the list, are
> added at the tail of the list, and, removals are removed from the head
> of the list.

Yes, I know how FIFO works :)

> The shop where I took the computer to have it repaired, was a
> contractor that was the sole provider for the Perth (capital of
> Western Australia) metropolitan area, for servicing under a retail
> chain's extended warranty service. And, it was a claim under an
> extended warranty.

I didn't pick up that it was under warranty - that may be the big
difference. The place I use, I have always come in with very specific
jobs that I didn't want to do myself to avoid breaking something that I
couldn't afford to replace ("please remove the massive CPU cooler and
install these DIMMs") and have always paid by the hour. That may
get higher priority than a warranty claim, as I don't expect there's any
guarantee on getting warranty maintenance done quickly...

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"