Re: debian 8

On Monday 13 April 2015 12:50:08 Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:29:48 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 13 April 2015 08:07:40 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > Sometimes it will also be necessary to remove the backup
> > > (RTC/CMOS) battery.  In that case you will likely have to leave
> > > the box unpowered (do not reconnect any of the batteries or power)
> > > for several hours (try at least 12 hours) AFTER you did the
> > > power-button dance above, to actually reset everything.
> >
> > What has become of the triplet of header pins on the motherboard
> > that used to do that. Simply move the flea clip to the other end
> > pair and count to 10, put it back where you found it.  In the normal
> > position the cmos battery is connected.  In the other position the
> > battery is not only disconnected, but the battery input to the cmos
> > is forceably grounded, defeating the timing forced on you by any
> > energy storage capacitor that may also be present in the circuit.
> >
> > Do they not put that on the newer motherboards?
>
> I don't know, my newest motherboard is 3-4 years old, and while it is
> thankfully not new enough to have UEFI, it does have these pins.
> Clearly mentioned in the manual, too.
>
> > IMO no board without that should ever be considered for purchase.
> > YMMV of course...
>
> Amen. But the OP's machine is a laptop, and the owner had difficulty
> with removing the battery without the user manual. Disregarding
> whether or not he should even attempt this at all, it would involve
> opening his still-under-warranty machine to such a degree that it
> would now become a no-longer-under-warranty machine :)
>
> So whether or not the pins are there is not really that important in
> this setting, I would think. But I totally agree with you :)

I apparently did not consider that aspect Petter, and you are of coarse
correct. A side remark is related to the tools used to open it and
service it.  My laptop was opened to replace a dead dvd writer while it
was still in warranty, (and the tried to wiggle out of it when they
found it booted mandrake linux at the time) and the only cure for the
torn up screws his worn out dime store tools tore up, is a full set of
new screws. Knowing he would, I had brought my own precisely made set of
small phillips screwdrivers along, and the tech refused to use them.
Had he been my employee, he would have learned how to do that work
properly, or would have been fired on the spot.  The old saying that his
hands did not fit the tools was never more true. But he wasn't working
for me, he was working for Circuit City.

In that event, I would simply ask that the warranty be honored, or the
machine be replace in a timely manner ( 2 weeks is IMO hugely excessive
unless it has to be ordered and shipped.) and I might remark in passing
that I was friends with the local County Attorney. In our small county
community of <10,000, that is not only an excellent chance of being the
truth, and in this case she also knows I voted for her.  I have found it
helpfull to "know someone" now and then. ;-)

> > In any event, the above certainly generates a sequence of questions
> > to be asked of the peddler of any new board one might buy, questions
> > that if the sales driod cannot readily answer or quickly find
> > someone who does have the answer, would make me look for a peddler
> > who is knowledgeable enough to answer with sensible, truthful
> > answers.
>
> I am also a little wary of his statement that it took them two _weeks_
> to examine a machine he delivered to them for service. Where I live, a
> small place in Norway, the people I use will normally do things within
> a few hours. And it's not like they have lots of competition, either.
>
> Maybe I'm just spoiled & lucky, though.
>
> Petter

Both Petter, fits me too although my luck has been phenominal on both
sides of the mean from time to time.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)