Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Fri 03 Apr 2015 at 13:52:02 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 03 April 2015 12:32:47 Brian wrote:
> > On Fri 03 Apr 2015 at 11:01:05 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Go ahead Brian, I'll wait right here while you do that.
> >
> > It is only the partitioning which is giving a problem.
> >
> > 1. Choose 'Manual' on the 'Partition disks' page.
> Check

Ok

> > 2. Choose a disk and hightlight 'FREE SPACE'. Press the ENTER key.
> Check, unless the disk is used, then you need to "use whole disk"

Either there is FREE SPACE or there isn't. If there is none you cannot
install anything to that disk. What did you get? You didn't say, so now
we are left wondering how you dealt with that situation.

If it were me and there was no free space, I would delete that partition
and go from there.

> > 3. Create a new partition. ENTER. Specify size. ENTER. Choose
> > 'Logical'. ENTER. 'Beginning' ENTER.
> Check,,,,

Ok.

> > 4. Highlight 'Mount point:'. ENTER. Highlight '/home'. ENTER. Choose
> >    'Done setting up the partition'. ENTER.
> Check,,,

Ok.

> > 5  We are now back at the page in 2. Repeat 2, 3 and 4 but choose / as
> >    the mount point.
> Check, for /opt

It should not make any difference but you have now decided to deviate
from the instructions. We are now not in step.

> > 6. Repeat 2 and 3. At 4 highlight 'Use as:' and choose 'swap area'.
> > Then 'Done setting up the partition'.
> Check, 17 gigabytes worth.

I do not quite understand that. Did you specify 17 G of swap? Why a
prime number? :)

> > 7. 'Finish partitioning and write changes to disk' is the final step
> >    in partitioning on this page. But before doing it carry out step 8.
>
> I wasn't doing that step 8.

You **must** do it. It is obligatory.

> >    Then ENTER and agree to write the changes to disk on the next page.
>
> And this is where it looped back. 100% of the time, and apparently not
> writing to the disk the partition table so composed.  So you highlight
> the disk by its sda designation and restart, never getting a successfuil
> step 7.

Something before step 7 is surely the cause. You have the syslog; we
don't. Free space was there on the disk, wasn't it?

> > 8. Switch to tty2 with ALT-F2 and do
> >      cp /var/log/syslog /var/log/syslog-part1
> >
> >      >/var/log/syslog
> >
> > If there is any failure at step 7 (or before) you should have a record
> > in syslog which can be viewed with 'more /var/log/syslog'.
> > syslog-part1 will contain information on disk detection.
>
> Thank you Brian.  This log I assume is readable from tty2?  I don't
> recall it was available that early in the install previously, so I
> hadn't even tried.

Of course it is readable; I gave you the command to do it. syslog is
available throughout the install.