Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Friday 03 April 2015 12:25:01 Chris Bannister wrote:
[...]
> > > I appreciate that you have done that Lisi, but this hybrid.iso
> > > from linuxcnc.org, downloadable from a link right one on the front
> > > page, and using the wheezy repos for updates, simply cannot be
> > > beaten into submission to do that.
> >
> > It needs to be spoken to softly and caressed into submission. No one
> > doubts your experience but everyone wonders how you have managed to
> > turn a happy and co-operative installer into a martinet.
>
> I vaguely recall fighting with the partitioning stage at one point in
> the past but I think the 7.7 netinst I tried recently was much
> improved.
>
> There might be one particular step which is tripping Gene up, and once
> the "oh! duh! <slaps forehead>" moment passes, he'll be right.

I would welcome that moment.

> Is there a local Linux User Group in your area? You could mention
> this, and I bet there would be someone who would be keen to see what
> the trouble is, i.e. sort it out in a hand holding manner or confirm
> that there is some peculiarity with what you are trying to achieve.

I have a friend up the interstate about 10 miles running it, but he is
still running Fedora 6 the last time I checked on his main machine, and
one of the planetccrm setups on a couple more rigs as he also has a for
hire music production studio.

He doesn't "fix" what isn't broken.

And we use a dozen or more linux installs at the tv station, generally an
older Centos 5.5 or 5.6 IIRC. Jim is like Karl, he doesn't fix whats not
broken, but he does patch for hacks quite religiously. And he is
resourcefull in that when we went digital in 2008, we bought 4 of the
recommended rack mount Apple video servers for our video recording and
playback, one per "channel".  All of which had been replaced 6 years ago
now by centos servers that are 3-5x more capable than the Apple stuff,
none of which lasted for more than a year before being destroyed by an
internal fire at $5995 each. We learned to keep several fire
extinguishers handy around them.  And Jim built all the Centos servers
from boxes of parts and rack mount cages with 20x the cooling the apples
had.  One little 1.625" fan failing anyplace in one of the apples =
internal fire & essentially down for the count, non-repairable.
Warranty or not, apple wouldn't touch them after the first one.

So his Centos (and he is fluent in windows too) knowledge isn't terribly
applicable here.  I wish it was.

Part of the Centos speed comes from a 2nd local 10 gigabit network just
for Operations Control, where the apples were gigabit only.  It is not
bridged to the outside.  And I am hearing rumors of that being replaced
by fiber if and when fiber routers at 100Gb or more become affordable.
Affordable has not been $defined in front of me though. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)