Re: debian 8

On Sat 04 Apr 2015 at 01:26:35 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 03/04/2015, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri 03 Apr 2015 at 17:41:44 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> >> What are the expected differences between Debian 7 and Debian 8?
> >>
> >> Will Debian 8, when released, provide the "GNOME Classic" interface?
> >
> > Would gnome-session-flashback suit you?
> >

> I have no idea.

Well, get one then. It is very easy to install Debian 8 on a hard disk
or, as I might do, on a USB stick. None this new-fangled VM (or whatever
it is called) nonsense. Whatever happened to the age of exploration? :)

> In searching for it, the web pages at
>  https://packages.debian.org/es/jessie/gnome-session-flashback
> and
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomePanel
> do not include screenshots, so I do not know of its appearance or
> implied functionality.

Get to know it:

  https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Projects/GnomeFlashback?action=show&redirect=GnomeFlashback

> In Debian 6, with its GNOME 2 interface, I have, at the bottom of the
> screen, a taskbar below the panel, with the three menu types
> (Applications, Places,System) at the left end of the panel, and the
> system monitor applet to the left of the date and time at the right
> end of the panel.
>
> I want to be able to reproduce that in Debian 7 and, Debian 8, if they
> have the functionality.

You never know, You might have some luck with this.