Re: firefox-37, where to put

On 04/03/2015 at 10:35 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 03 April 2015 09:36:33 The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 04/03/2015 at 09:25 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

>>> /home is a mount point, not a partition.  You don't mount
>>> anything over it, you mount something on it.  So you mount your
>>> new home partition on the /home mount point.  You then mount your
>>> old home partition on another mount point and copy the data from
>>> it to your new home partition.
>>
>> It's not quite this simple if /home isn't a separate partition to
>> begin with, but is just a directory under the root partition, which
>> I believe Gene stated is the case he's dealing with.

>> It can still be done, with the slightly different set of steps
>> Reco described (mount new elsewhere, move existing into new,
>> unmount new from elsewhere, mount new to /home and modify fstab) -
>> but being sure you're doing it cleanly requires either making
>> _certain_ no one other than root is logged in
>
> Thats easy, I'm "it". :)

Not necessarily as easy as you might think. You'd need to be careful to
make sure that nothing got autostarted (or left running on logout) which
would try to access files under /home/*/ - and though I don't know of
anything offhand which would necessarily do that, I wouldn't want to
assume that nothing would.

>> during the move process or using a LiveCD (to make sure that,
>> effectively, no user on the affected system is logged in _at all_
>> during that process).
>
> Is booting with the single option on the kernels command line
> insufficient for this scenario?

That (single-user mode) _should_ be sufficient, but if I were doing it
myself I'd still take the extra steps to verify, just in case.

--
   The Wanderer