Re: firefox-37, where to put

On 04/03/2015 at 09:25 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 03 April 2015 14:03:38 Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> But you mentioned cleaning out /home when mounting another
>> partition over it, but I'd need a tutorial on how to do that since
>> the .home dir, once the 2nd drive is mounted oin top of it, isn't
>> accessible. FWIW, I've large boatload of stuff in /opt that I'd
>> like to treat the same way. Same problem with /opt.  But I figure
>> I'd do that too as it sure would save days of copying stuff when
>> upodateing an install.
>
> /home is a mount point, not a partition.  You don't mount anything
> over it, you mount something on it.  So you mount your new home
> partition on the /home mount point.  You then mount your old home
> partition on another mount point and copy the data from it to your
> new home partition.

It's not quite this simple if /home isn't a separate partition to begin
with, but is just a directory under the root partition, which I believe
Gene stated is the case he's dealing with.

It can still be done, with the slightly different set of steps Reco
described (mount new elsewhere, move existing into new, unmount new from
elsewhere, mount new to /home and modify fstab) - but being sure you're
doing it cleanly requires either making _certain_ no one other than root
is logged in during the move process or using a LiveCD (to make sure
that, effectively, no user on the affected system is logged in _at all_
during that process).

--
   The Wanderer