Re: firefox-37, where to put

Quoting The Wanderer (wanderer@fastmail.fm):
> On 04/03/2015 at 09:25 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
> > On Friday 03 April 2015 14:03:38 Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> >> But you mentioned cleaning out /home when mounting another
> >> partition over it, but I'd need a tutorial on how to do that since
> >> the .home dir, once the 2nd drive is mounted oin top of it, isn't
> >> accessible. FWIW,

Quite right. If you mount a partition over a directory with files in
it, then those files are (a) inaccessible while the mount is there and
(b) taking up space (in / in your case).

> > /home is a mount point, not a partition.  You don't mount anything
> > over it, you mount something on it.  So you mount your new home
> > partition on the /home mount point.  You then mount your old home
> > partition on another mount point and copy the data from it to your
> > new home partition.
>
> It's not quite this simple if /home isn't a separate partition to begin
> with, but is just a directory under the root partition, which I believe
> Gene stated is the case he's dealing with.
>
> It can still be done, with the slightly different set of steps Reco
> described (mount new elsewhere, move existing into new, unmount new from
> elsewhere, mount new to /home and modify fstab)

I would do it slightly differently. There's no virtue in using the
original /home directory as the mount point for the new home partition.

Boot into single

Mount new partition "fred" on /mnt (which is what it's for)

Copy the files. (I use find | cpio -damp myself, which is capable of
cloning a running root filesystem)

Rename /home to /oldhome (or whatever)

mkdir /home

unmount "fred" from /mnt and mount it on /home

Add "fred" to fstab

Back to normal runlevel

Archive/compare/check/prune/remove /oldhome at leisure.

"fred" stands for whatever name you know the new partition by,
be it kernel device, LABEL, UUID or whatever. Please don't actually
call it "wheezyhome", though. That's doubly overloaded.

Cheers,
David.