Re: My Friends Make Fun of My UI

Quoting Curt (curty@free.fr):
> On 2015-03-13, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 13 March 2015 03:33:41 David Wright wrote:
> >> But I'm still waiting for someone to convince me to use a DE instead
> >> of my old WM.
> >
> > Why?
>
> I believe he means he has yet to be convinced of any DE's superiority
> over his old WM; if he had put the thing in the form of a question, it
> would have been a rhetorical one.

Well, not really; quite the opposite in fact. The posting quoted above
was expressing my opinion that WMs/viewports/desks are nothing new,
and it's specifically newer, DE stuff that interests me. The actual
sentence above refers back to my earlier posting, viz "Just tell me
what I'm missing, and what you are, Stephen."

My appetite is whetted by postings like this:

"(The main drawbck of Icewm: You don't get just pampered with all those
multimedia goodies allowing you to operate sound, video etc. without
understanding much of what's going on under the hood.)"

and some of the items listed at https://packages.debian.org/jessie/xfce4-goodies
but I worry after reading these two postings which seem contradictory:

"Gnome is overbloated "by design". If you want minimalistic desktop
environment, LXDE is a good choice. What are you missing in LXDE? You
can install individual packages from Gnome/KDE/..."

"For the most part, when you install GNOME, you get most everything. I
don't think you can install just certain GNOME apps or features as most
everything is a dependency of everything else.  I tried a few years ago
to do just that and failed.  That's one of the reasons I switched to just a WM."

But any thought of trying out a DE is on hold at the moment while I
try and sort out what's making this laptop (which is where I tend to
experiment) slower (and more unreliable) than usual, particularly
booting up and closing down.

Cheers,
David.