Re: Installing Jessie on a computer that current has Windows 7 on it - Progress! & Questions?

Quoting Paul E Condon (pecondon@mesanetworks.net):
> On 20150312_2255-0500, David Wright wrote:
> > Press Left-Alt and the menu bar will appear. You can also press, say,
>
> It seems we are using different versions of iceweasel, or different
> versions of Jessie.

Configuring keys can be quite obscure, especially in iceweasel.
I have observed that about:config has ui.key.menuAccessKey set to 18,
its default, though the significance of 18 is a mystery to me.

Or it may be to do with the DE or window manager. I'm using FVWM.

> On my computer pressing Left-Alt *alone* does
> nothing. In this respect (on my machine) it acts similarly to the
> Shift keys, in that it modifies the action of the following key press
> while the Alt key is being held down.

Yes, that's what I described in the enveloping paragraph marked > >
if you stitch it back together:
"You can also press, say, Left-Alt-B and get the bookmarks,"

> Unlike the Shift key, there
> seems not to be an Alt-Lock, paralleling the Shift-Lock.
>
> > Left-Alt-B and get the bookmarks, if you know the appropriate letters,
> > F, E, V, S, B etc.
>
> For me, the whole point of a GUI is that it allows the interface
> designer to sprinkle about the screen various visual cues and hot
> spots that allow the user to instruct the computer without having to a
> set of appropriate keys. Oh well, live and learn.
>
> But I did discover a way to get the toolbar that works for my
> computer: On the far right end of the line that contains the text box
> for entering the URL, there is and icon containing three short think
> horizontal lines.  If I click on that, it opens a configuration
> menu. If I click on the last item in that menu, it opens another menu
> in the lower LEFT corner of the iceweasel window. In this lower left
> menu, there are some check boxes.  Checking a box appears not to do
> anything, but after you exit from the menu on the RIGHT side, the
> Toolbar and/or Menu bar is/are displayed.

I checked this out and it also worked for me.

> The trouble with this as a definitive solution is that I am pretty
> sure that the icon with three horizontal bars in it is a configurable
> item. I wouldn't know what to do if my iceweasel were configured to
> leave out that icon.

Eek. I thought that icon was the new way of doing things. Draw a
little button with a mysterious picture on it so that only people
under 10 years old know what it does.

It took me years to realise that about:config was the new way of doing
all the things I couldn't find in Edit/Preferences any more.

And at work, "training" nowadays consists of being told to "Play with it;
try pressing the buttons to see what they do; click on Help if you can
find it."

> Sorry for the cranky tone. I get cranky when I'm not in control of my
> computer.

My sympathy.

Cheers,
David.