Re: My Friends Make Fun of My UI

On 03/11/2015 10:07 PM, Tazman DeVille wrote:
On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 04:34:51PM -0700, Glenn English wrote:

On Mar 4, 2015, at 2:03 PM, Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@gmail.com> wrote:

I would like to upgrade to Gnome so my desktop looks/feels a bit nicer
and gain a few extra features I'm missing in LXDE. However, I don't
want all the "stuff" that normally comes with Gnome.

You're fine. You just need to get some new friends.

--
Glenn English

I'm with Glenn on this one.

Taz

I don't know what is meant by "stuff" or why your friends make fun of your UI (window manager?), but you might want to google "linux window managers". There are lots of options for GUIs on Linux (more precisely, OSs which run X).

A couple decades ago our LUG had a meeting in which people showed off their favorite window managers. The only one I still remember the name of is Enlightenment and I believe it's still around. At the time (decades ago) you could configure it so that apps had vertical tabs hanging off the left or right side of their windows and horns jutting out from the top corners and semi-transparent windows (which can be done today in gnome-terminal) and tons of other bodacious eye candy.

And there are a dozen or more other window managers you can try out, configure the heck out of, and impress your friends with.

Do you know about viewports? That by itself is cool and comes with gnome. IIRC (reading about X from long ago), this allows you to have four billion "desktops" running on the same X instance.

If you've got the hardware, you could have more than one monitor-- two or three or dozens of them-- all running off the same machine. Lots of configuration options here too.

Another option would be to run virtual machines. That would allow you to run different OSs on your one Linux box. Or you could run different instances of the same Linux distro on all of them, except different window managers.

So there's all kinds of ways to impress your friends with Linux GUIs. If you can back up the software with requisite hardware and spend enough time working it all, you could be a GUI rock star... if that's what you think would be worth your time.