My Friends Make Fun of My UI

Hi list,

I use LXDE on my Jessie laptop. I chose this desktop environment
because I don't want a lot of "stuff" on my system. Everything there is
essentially installed by me. I have Iceweasel, Claws-Mail, another GUI
program or two, but that's it. Everything else, I do in a terminal. I
even use Iceweasel to open the occasional PDF I come across
(eliminating the need for another PDF viewer). I suppose I'm a
minimalist in this sense.

I would like to upgrade to Gnome so my desktop looks/feels a bit nicer
and gain a few extra features I'm missing in LXDE. However, I don't
want all the "stuff" that normally comes with Gnome.

I have no use for:
-GUI login screen/session manager
-NetworkManager
-GUI package manager
-GUI text editor
-Chat/Contacts/Keyring manager
-Photo manager
....I think you get the idea by now.

I did a bit of reading and would prefer the Gnome "Classic" interface.
Is there a way to install this type of "minimal" gnome without breaking
it too much? Is it even possible to do, or does it all depend on one
another?