Re: Best replacement for iceape?

On 03/13/2015 11:03 AM, Thomas H. George wrote:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 05:11:55AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
On 13/03/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
On 13/03/2015, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 03:39:44AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
On 12/03/2015, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
Ok, iceape must go. What next?

My installed iceape has an extensive list of email addresses some of
which include complete snailmail addresses.  What email clients can
accept/assist transfer of all this information?

Tom

The replacement for iceape was discussed in the original thread that
you started about iceape.

iceape is, I believe, a Debian derivative of Seamonkey, and I assume
that people from the Debian Project, or, the developers of iceape,
could clarify this.

So, on the premise that I am more or less correct in stating that
iceape is a Debian derivative of Seamonkey, then, where iceape is not
available, the logical, and, closest, replacement for iceape, is
Seamonkey.

Simple.

Maybe.  I have been using iceape for a long time, at least 10 years I
belive, so maybe the lineage is the other way around. At any rate there
is no Seamonkey on Jessie. Its sad losing iceape suite which integrated
iceape browser and iceape mail and newsgroups into one package. Still we
must progress.

OK. Seamonkey is Icedove in Jessie, looks familiar. I will save the
installation folder .mozilla and replace it with my iceape .mozilla
folder and see what happens.

Tom

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project
and
https://launchpad.net/iceape

These are only two of the many results, from searching for the terms
"iceape" and "suite".

I believe that the information shows that iceape was created and
released as Debian software, in about 2007, with the Debian version
named "etch", with iceape being a derivative of Seamonkey, and that
iceape was created for the Debian Project, due to licensing and
trademark issues.

Oh, and, I have been using iceape and Seamonkey, and, the parent
software; the Netscape suite, from back when I think it was about
Netscape 3, I think, following the evolution of the integrated suite.
I do remember using it, when it was Netscape, before the separated
Mozilla suite.

Maybe make a backup of that directory first?? :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html