Re: Best replacement for iceape?

On 13/03/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/03/2015, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

>>> The replacement for iceape was discussed in the original thread that
>>> you started about iceape.
>>>
>>> iceape is, I believe, a Debian derivative of Seamonkey, and I assume
>>> that people from the Debian Project, or, the developers of iceape,
>>> could clarify this.
>>>
>>> So, on the premise that I am more or less correct in stating that
>>> iceape is a Debian derivative of Seamonkey, then, where iceape is not
>>> available, the logical, and, closest, replacement for iceape, is
>>> Seamonkey.
>>>
>>> Simple.
>>>

>> Maybe.  I have been using iceape for a long time, at least 10 years I
>> belive, so maybe the lineage is the other way around. At any rate there
>> is no Seamonkey on Jessie. Its sad losing iceape suite which integrated
>> iceape browser and iceape mail and newsgroups into one package. Still we
>> must progress.
>>

> See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project
> and
> https://launchpad.net/iceape
>
> These are only two of the many results, from searching for the terms
> "iceape" and "suite".
>
> I believe that the information shows that iceape was created and
> released as Debian software, in about 2007, with the Debian version
> named "etch", with iceape being a derivative of Seamonkey, and that
> iceape was created for the Debian Project, due to licensing and
> trademark issues.

Oh, and, I have been using iceape and Seamonkey, and, the parent
software; the Netscape suite, from back when I think it was about
Netscape 3, I think, following the evolution of the integrated suite.
I do remember using it, when it was Netscape, before the separated
Mozilla suite.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale