Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> OK, here's the thing that's nagging me a bit.  This is what happened
> as far as I can remember.
>
> Installed Debian
> Installed Emacs24.4 from backports
> Installed R from debian CRAN vide instructions from CRAN site
> Installed Rstudio.deb community edition from Rstudio site
> While installing packages via Rstudio, lCurl fails due to the error I
> documented in prior posts

Sounds like a plausible series of events.  That description in the
beginning would have explained everything right at the start.

Basically you are mixing a bunch of packages that are from various
sources.  Each source is focused on their part of the universe.  They
aren't cross testing against each other's repositories.  It is that
mixing and matching that often trips over problems because none of
them test against every other repository.  Each will think their end
is completely consistent.  But in combination they probably phase in
and out of consistency.  That is simply the nature of mixing sources.

> You and Brian now recommend libcurl4-* from backports which will
> download a boatload of other stuff just to get this swirl/Lcurl
> package working.

Not quite.  I recommended using backports as a target for resolving
dependencies.  Normally apt is barred from pulling packges from
backports due to the backports configuration.  Using backports as a
target overrides that so that it can install from it.

> 1. Do I have to uninstall & reinstall the cran packages, Rstudio before
> proceeding?  And this needs to be done from backports?

I don't know anything about the R packages from their 3rd party
repository.  But if it were me I would push forward with using the mix
since you have already done so until you find a reason not to.

> 2.  Will this impact Rstudio installation if the R install is from
> backports?

Is R available from backports?  I haven't checked.

> 3.  And if I do get the above working, how will my planned upgrade to
> Jessie affect the installed packages from backports.

Upgrades from backports to Jessie is guarenteed.  That is one of the
reasons everyone likes backports.  All of the backports packages are
backports from Jessie.  Therefore when you decide to upgrade to Jessie
they will upgrade seamlessly.

That is not a guarentee of other 3rd party repositories.  However I am
sure they will try to do the right thing.  Until there is an example
of an incompatibility I must give them the benefit of the doubt.

> I think I'm confused whether I should remember that some bits of
> software are from backports and it's incumbent on me to track all this
> while upgrading to Jessie or installing anything else from stable.  I
> really don't want to do that and if Debian takes care of the magic in
> the background, that'd be wonderful.

For backports and Testing (Jessie 8 currently) everything is taken
care of for you.  Use backports with Stable (currently Wheezy 7) and
then upgrading when Testing becomes the new Stable will all work fine.

Don't know anything about other 3rd party repositories such as the R
repositories.  Any problems using them should be reported to them.

Bob