Re: I screwed up gdm3, can't recover

Thomas H. George wrote:
> I created the display problem. The HP box has only vga, no hdmi so I
> experimented with the settings and chose an incompatable one resulting
> in a black screen. I created a second user, tom2, and the display opened
> normally for tom2.

That proves that the problem was limited to desktop configuration
files saved in $HOME.

> To recover my initial work I ran rsync -r --stats
> /home/tom/ /home/tom2. All my data was recovered but on reboot the
> display wouldn't open for either tom or tom2.

The rsync overwrote your new working desktop config with the old
broken desktop config.

> Not wishing to create tom3 I tried installing xdm. There was some
> problem with that so restarted gdm3 with the following result.

Since the problem was in the files in your $HOME changing stuff in the
system is just going to confound the issue with additional noise.

Very likely your system is fine.  If you were to create a pristine
user again I expect you would be able to start a full desktop again.

> Reinstall would certainly cure all my mistakes. Before doing that I
> found xdm works but only allows me to log in as root

You shouldn't be trying to log in as root.  Root is ultimately
powerful and X has an unaudited amount of code.  Bound to be bugs in
there somewhere.

> and then brings up the gnome desktop with all the installed
> programs. I can live with this until I find out how to correct
> systemctl's problem with gdm3.

I suspect it was always working but that it was something in your
user desktop configuration that was the problem.

Bob