Re: 3rd new wheezy install

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 09:57:50AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 03, 2015 05:01:46 AM Darac Marjal wrote:
> > > On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 06:16:34PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [cut]
> >
> > My point in all this is that the installer WILL NOT ALLOW you, in any mode, to
> > just format and label a partition and use it. Try to skip the partitioner and
> > go on to the next step it will NOT allow. The only way you can get past that
> > is to allow it to write a broken partition table  So ATM, I have no clue if
> > this drive is partition synchronized so that the 2 partitioms on it, / & swap,
> > are in fact sector aligned.

To Gene: you don't "skip the partitioner". What you do is instruct the
partitioner to make no changes to the disks in your machine, as
described below.

[snipped most of this detailed explanation]

> So, now  I'm back at the top level of the partitioner. The layout of my
> disk is shown again. This time, the last column of the table of
> partitions shows that partition #1 will be used as "/", and partition #5
> will be used as "swap".

I have done much the same just now with my old wheezy netinst CD, with
one difference. As my smallest computer has 512MB memory, I usually
skip the swap partition too as it save rewriting the label afterwards.
(Allowing the partitioner to initialise it clears the label.)

So here's the final screen, ready for installation on partition 2:

SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 60.0 GB ATA ...serial number or whatever...
     #1  primary  20.0 GB  B     ext4
     #2  primary  20.0 GB     K  ext4    /
     #3  primary  19.0 GB        ext4
     #4  primary   1.0 GB        swap

Undo changes to partition
Finish partitioning and write changes to disk.

(For people who don't use this method of installation, the B is the
boot flag that happens to be set on sda1, the K means Keep the data
on sda2 (which I emptied, except lost+found), and / means this will be
the root partition. sda1/3/4 will be untouched as they were all set
to Do Not Use.)

> If I now wanted to proceed with installation I would scroll down to
> "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk". This would *NOT ALTER
> THE PARTITION TABLE*, it would merely format the partitions (#1 would me
> made ext4 and #5 would be re-initialised as swap). Installation would
> then proceed.

After pressing return on the last line, the partitioner raises its
eyebrows because there's no swap, and no partition to be formatted.
After OKing "Continue with the installation?" I can switch to the log
on VC4 and see that no partition table is written, no partition gets
formatted, and the log shows it:

INFO: Menu item 'partman-base' selected       <--- from when you pressed "Partition disks"
kernel: EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: errors=remount-ro
... stuff while it prepares for the next step ...

I have no idea if Gene did this, or else something completely
different, but he does seem to be unsable to provide a *precise*
narrative of what he did and where it failed. I can only assume
(from the statement quoted above) that he tries to skip the
"partitioner step" ALTOGTHER, and obviously that's going to fail
because the installer has no idea where to copy the installation
files to.

Cheers,
David.