Re: 3rd new wheezy install

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 06:16:34PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> This time I just let it do its own multiple partition thing.  When the
> install was done, every other disk partitioner we have reports that the
> partition boundaries are out of sync with the 4k sectors of this drive.
> Both beginning and ending.
>
> So I am, before I try to recover all the data from this failing boot
> drive, (it was read-only when I woke up this morning and I have since
> replaced its red sata cable, known to me to have a high failure rate that
> goes back 45 years when I see this particular shade of just barely magenta
> red, it eats the copper in the wire, turning it into dust in a few years)
> attempting to resize/move things to get rid of the partitioning errors.
>
> And I needed an /opt partition  to hold quite a bit of my stuff too.  SO
> ATM gparted is moving the huge /home partition up by 8 mebibytes, and
> shrinking it to around 460g's, so I can use the rest for /opt.
>
> The point of this is that gparted is now moving data at nominally 160 to
> 180 megabytes a second of combined read and writes, so I have to assume
> I've hit the correct geometry for this partition.  Only 6 more to go when
> swap is included. I'll spend the rest of the night fixing this, but why
> the heck do I have to. Dumb partitioner, thats why.

If you like, you can make the partitioner dumber. If you partition the
drive as you prefer BEFORE running the installer, then the installer
will not move the existing partitions. This is a perfectly cromulent
use-case for the installer (you might, for example, prefer to use
Windows-based tools to shrink your Windows partition, or you might have
some 'awkward' software that requires a partition to be set up "just
so". The installer will only make partitions if you tell it to.

Just follow the links for manually partitioning the disk, which should
detect your partitions and allow you to simply assign them for
installation.