Re: 3rd new wheezy install

On Tuesday, February 03, 2015 05:01:46 AM Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 06:16:34PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > This time I just let it do its own multiple partition thing.  When the
> > install was done, every other disk partitioner we have reports that the
> > partition boundaries are out of sync with the 4k sectors of this drive.
> > Both beginning and ending.
> >
> > So I am, before I try to recover all the data from this failing boot
> > drive, (it was read-only when I woke up this morning and I have since
> > replaced its red sata cable, known to me to have a high failure rate that
> > goes back 45 years when I see this particular shade of just barely
> > magenta red, it eats the copper in the wire, turning it into dust in a
> > few years) attempting to resize/move things to get rid of the
> > partitioning errors.
> >
> > And I needed an /opt partition  to hold quite a bit of my stuff too.  SO
> > ATM gparted is moving the huge /home partition up by 8 mebibytes, and
> > shrinking it to around 460g's, so I can use the rest for /opt.
> >
> > The point of this is that gparted is now moving data at nominally 160 to
> > 180 megabytes a second of combined read and writes, so I have to assume
> > I've hit the correct geometry for this partition.  Only 6 more to go when
> > swap is included. I'll spend the rest of the night fixing this, but why
> > the heck do I have to. Dumb partitioner, thats why.
>
> If you like, you can make the partitioner dumber. If you partition the
> drive as you prefer BEFORE running the installer, then the installer
> will not move the existing partitions. This is a perfectly cromulent
> use-case for the installer (you might, for example, prefer to use
> Windows-based tools to shrink your Windows partition, or you might have
> some 'awkward' software that requires a partition to be set up "just
> so". The installer will only make partitions if you tell it to.
>
> Just follow the links for manually partitioning the disk, which should
> detect your partitions and allow you to simply assign them for
> installation.

I have now been offline for 3 days, that failing hard drive did not wait for my
convenience.  This install is about the 6th I have done, and I am back to the
only way that works, which it let the SOB use all the disk as it sees fit.  And
this is not a wheezy install as such, that install has self destructed within
2 hours of the initial reboot while I was trying to recover data that is in
some cases 15 years old from the failing drive. Right now, the only reason
kmail is working is because I have moved any and all mailfile type stuff out of
its default ~/Mail directory.  This kernel is a special for cnc machine
control, but it is not PAE, so a 6Gb mailfile canot be handled when the system
see's only 3Gb of the 8Gb in this machine.  Kmail 1.13.7 does not handle an
OOM situation at all well. On the previous LTS install with 1.13.5, it was
capable of doing these files, slowly, but it did not crash.

And it is an amd64 install! The bug, lack of pae in a kernel build that claims
it is in a uname -r: 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae, has been reported to the builder of
this distro disk.  Not your car IOW.

I do not have incoming mail setup yet.  This unread message was copied from
the failing drive as it is now read-only within 3 minutes of power-up.

My point in all this is that the installer WILL NOT ALLOW you, in any mode, to
just format and label a partition and use it. Try to skip the partitioner and
go on to the next step it will NOT allow. The only way you can get past that
is to allow it to write a broken partition table  So ATM, I have no clue if
this drive is partition synchronized so that the 2 partitioms on it, / & swap,
are in fact sector aligned.

What is very discouraging in all this is that to a person, you _al_l believe
the installer can do no wrong, AND its onvious that this list is not in any
way connected to the people that build the install, so you are not telling the
install image people there is a problem with how it handles these new 4k
sector disks.

So the problem is not going to get fixed due to a lack of communication. Your
bug tracker isn't accessible to me as I don't even have incoming mail setup
such that I could confirm the subscription I'd need to file the bug.  Chicken v
egg.

Cheers, Gene Heskett