Re: 3rd new wheezy install

On Thursday, February 05, 2015 04:09:58 PM David Wright wrote:
> > [cut]
> >
> > > My point in all this is that the installer WILL NOT ALLOW you, in any
> > > mode, to just format and label a partition and use it. Try to skip
> > > the partitioner and go on to the next step it will NOT allow. The
> > > only way you can get past that is to allow it to write a broken
> > > partition table  So ATM, I have no clue if this drive is partition
> > > synchronized so that the 2 partitioms on it, / & swap, are in fact
> > > sector aligned.
>
> To Gene: you don't "skip the partitioner". What you do is instruct the
> partitioner to make no changes to the disks in your machine, as
> described below.
>
> [snipped most of this detailed explanation]

Why, the results are there in what nyou snipped.

> > So, now  I'm back at the top level of the partitioner. The layout of my
> > disk is shown again. This time, the last column of the table of
> > partitions shows that partition #1 will be used as "/", and partition
> > #5 will be used as "swap".
>
> I have done much the same just now with my old wheezy netinst CD, with
> one difference. As my smallest computer has 512MB memory, I usually
> skip the swap partition too as it save rewriting the label afterwards.
> (Allowing the partitioner to initialise it clears the label.)
>
> So here's the final screen, ready for installation on partition 2:
>
> SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 60.0 GB ATA ...serial number or whatever...
>      #1  primary  20.0 GB  B     ext4
>      #2  primary  20.0 GB     K  ext4    /
>      #3  primary  19.0 GB        ext4
>      #4  primary   1.0 GB        swap
>
> Undo changes to partition
> Finish partitioning and write changes to disk.

And you tab highlited this last line & hit enter?  That is when my partition
table gets wrecked.

> (For people who don't use this method of installation, the B is the
> boot flag that happens to be set on sda1, the K means Keep the data
> on sda2 (which I emptied, except lost+found), and / means this will be
> the root partition. sda1/3/4 will be untouched as they were all set
> to Do Not Use.)
>
> > If I now wanted to proceed with installation I would scroll down to
> > "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk". This would *NOT ALTER
> > THE PARTITION TABLE*, it would merely format the partitions (#1 would
> > me made ext4 and #5 would be re-initialised as swap). Installation
> > would then proceed.
>
> After pressing return on the last line, the partitioner raises its
> eyebrows because there's no swap, and no partition to be formatted.
> After OKing "Continue with the installation?" I can switch to the log
> on VC4 and see that no partition table is written, no partition gets
> formatted, and the log shows it:

What is this VC4?  CTL+ALT+F2-3-4 did nothing. Is there another magic key
combo?

> INFO: Menu item 'partman-base' selected       <--- from when you pressed
> "Partition disks" kernel: EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with
> ordered data mode. Opts: errors=remount-ro ... stuff while it prepares
> for the next step ...
>
> I have no idea if Gene did this, or else something completely
> different, but he does seem to be unsable to provide a *precise*
> narrative of what he did and where it failed. I can only assume
> (from the statement quoted above) that he tries to skip the
> "partitioner step" ALTOGTHER, and obviously that's going to fail
> because the installer has no idea where to copy the installation
> files to.

That is precisely what I am trying to do, because any other path thru that,
writes a duff partition table to a perfect ready disk.  I don't care if it
reformats it, but I want it to leave what I previously prepared alone. The
next prompt in the sequence that I am trying to access is IIRC the format
and proceed stage.  It will not let me do it unless I allow it to write a
duff partition table over the good one already prepared and formatted.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)