Re: Can't add pendrive stick as installation media (was: Network install)

On Sat 31 Jan 2015 at 16:50:52 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Nothing, and nothing.  I also tried with Jessie, testing, but it seems there's
> no way to make Debian add pendrive sticks as installation media.  sources.lists
> is not at all modified, and the pendrive stick is not accepted as installation
> media: the system insists on requiring a CD-ROM.

You have been given another method using dpkg but let us stick with
David Wright's suggestion and get this cleared up.

1. Boot into your Wheezy install and login as root.

2. Insert the USB stick. There should be a message on the screen giving
   you a device name. I get sdg.

3. The netinst is on the first partition, sdg1. Use dmesg to check. I
   have 'sdg: sdg1'.

4. I'll mount my partition:

     mount /dev/sdg1 /mnt

   I'm told it is mounted read-only.

5. Now I'll add the USB stick to /etc/apt/sources.list.

     apt-cdrom -m --no-auto-detect -d /mnt add

   I'm told the disc is scanned for index files and a new source list is
   written. I can check by looking at /etc/apt/sources.list. Edit the
   file to comment out all lines apart from this one.

6. apt-get update

7. apt-get install ppp

8. Tell us where you went wrong before. :)