Re: Network install

Quoting Rodolfo Medina (rodolfo.medina@gmail.com):

>  http://www.us.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> I download the file debian-7.8.0-i386-netinst.iso and put it onto pendrive
> stick, then start the installation trough the Debian Installer.  Everything
> goes fine all the way through the installer menu until finishing the install by
> booting into the new system.
>
> At that point, I need installing ppp, because, once installed ppp, I'll be able
> to connect to internet and download the remaining packages.  I do:
>
>  # aptitude install ppp
>
> The system tells me to insert the debian CD-ROM, because it `doesn't know' that
> I have no CD-ROM at all, but instead a pendrive stick.  I insert the pendrive
> stick with debian-7.8.0-i386-netinst.iso on it, but the system insists on
> wanting a CD-ROM.
>
> So I can't install ppp and so I won't be able to connect to internet.

Insert the pendrive, and see where it's mounted (from the logs, console etc.)

mount -t auto /dev/sdZ1 /mnt

where Z is b, c, d as appropriate

apt-cdrom -d=/mnt add

aptitude ...

You'll probably want to remove the pendrive from apt's sources.list
pretty soon afterwards so that it doesn't keep being asked for.

Cheers,
David.