Re: Network install

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> By "install Debian" do you mean you go all the way through the installer
> menu and then finish the install by booting into the new system?

I'll try to explain better (strange, it seems so clear to me).

The problem only occurs with pendrive stick, not with CD-ROM.  I.e.:

 http://www.us.debian.org/CD/netinst/

I download the file debian-7.8.0-i386-netinst.iso and put it onto pendrive
stick, then start the installation trough the Debian Installer.  Everything
goes fine all the way through the installer menu until finishing the install by
booting into the new system.

At that point, I need installing ppp, because, once installed ppp, I'll be able
to connect to internet and download the remaining packages.  I do:

 # aptitude install ppp

The system tells me to insert the debian CD-ROM, because it `doesn't know' that
I have no CD-ROM at all, but instead a pendrive stick.  I insert the pendrive
stick with debian-7.8.0-i386-netinst.iso on it, but the system insists on
wanting a CD-ROM.

So I can't install ppp and so I won't be able to connect to internet.

At this point, someone from the list suggested to start Debian Installer in
expert mode and load the packages from there.  I tried, with no success.  That
way, the installation of ppp is not complete, not sufficient.

Hope it's clearer now.

Rodolfo