Re: VMWre Player Full Screen Question

 Hi.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:18:32 -0500
"Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> When I open VMWare Player in Win 7 the window is not full screen. Now I
> selected the option to "Enter full screen mode after powering on".  This
> is what happens, but Debian is booting and opening to a user (or as
> root) in a smaller window.  In order to get Debian full screen it is
> necessary to toggle between "Exit full screen mode' and  "enter full
> screen mode" - usually several times.  This is rather annoying.
>
> Is there a solution?

So, let me rephrase. Some program running under Windows confuses you
as it likes to change its window size. You'd like to change this
behavior, but instead of using a direct approach (i.e. force the
program in question to be always fullscreen), you try to find a
workaround (i.e. forbid Debian to switch videomodes on boot).

Sorry, but you came to the wrong place. This is Debian users' list, not
Windows one. I doubt anyone can help you here, short of advising to
ditch VMWare along with Windows altogether.

Best I can personally offer is:

1) Ditch VMWare Player, use VirtualBox. VirtualBox may be not the best
virtualization solution, but it should work under Windows. Maybe. It's
been a long time since such things were of interest to me.

2) Force desired videomode in GRUB2 (I assume you use this bootloader
to boot Debian) by adding to /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_GFXMODE=<your_desired_screen_size_here_i_e_640x480>
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

running 'update-grub' as root and rebooting Debian.

3) Reverse OSes. The natural way to run any kind of virtualization is
to run Linux.

Reco