Re: Network install

On Fri 30 Jan 2015 at 19:36:03 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > By "install Debian" do you mean you go all the way through the installer
> > menu and then finish the install by booting into the new system?
>

> I'll try to explain better (strange, it seems so clear to me).

Your explanation was full and understandable, apart from the lack of
clarity about booting into the new system before using aptitude. A "yes"
or "no" was all that was required in answer to my query.

1. Insert the USB stick carrying the netinst image and look at the
   output of dmesg. It will have something like 'sdg: sdg1' sdg1 is the
   partition which holds the image.

2. Next is the command

      mount /dev/sdg1 /mnt

   followed by

      ls -l /mnt

3. Your attention should focus on the pool directory.

4. 'ls -l /mnt/pool' and 'ls -l /mnt/pool/main' gets you exploring.

5. After checking, install the ppp package with

      dpkg -i /mnt/pool/main/p/ppp/ppp_2.4.5-5.1+b1_i386.deb

6. Carefully read the screen and curse me for leaving you to work out
   the last bit of the puzzle for yourself.