Re: Wheezy is installed, blowed up 2 minutes later.

On Wednesday 21 January 2015 13:22:56 Don Armstrong did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > It self-destructed when I tried to fix the miss-aligned partitions
> > the you cannot bypass it partitioner created out of whole cloth.
>
> Changing the partition layout underneath the installer is never going
> to work, unless you also move and resize the partitions or recreate
> them entirely.

I didn't expect it to.

> > If there is a way, please advise.
>
> Instead of creating new paritions in the partitioner, you choose manual
> configuration, use the existing partitions, give the existing
> partitions mount points and mark them to be used, and if you've
> already formatted them, don't format them anew.

Even in the expert AND manual modes, and I am getting tired of repeating
this, you cannot modify the "do not Use" other than the color of the text.

Nor can you skip the partitioner and go straight to the format & install
pages. I swear can hear it chuckling as it bounces me back to "do it wrong
partitioner".

> If you're still having trouble, actual logs and/or screenshots would be
> useful.

First, the survival of the log depends on the success of the install, no
install=no logs even if I knew where they were kept. An option to save the
logs on a DIFFERENT drive would be most helpful.

And AFAIK, image attachments are not allowed by the server, so what good
would it do me to take some pix and try to post them?

Here is an example of a slow disk, its the disk I use for amanda's virtual
tapes.

Disk /dev/sdd: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0005b800

/dev/sdd1               1       61022   490159183+  83  Linux
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sdd2           61023      121601   486600817+  83  Linux
Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.

So that disk, able to write if aligned at 110 to 120 Mb/sec, stumbles
along at 50Mb/sec, slowing up the backup by 30+ minutes.  That disk was
partitioned by fdisk several years ago. It (fdisk) has since gotten
smarter in that while it won't stop you from shooting yourself anyplace
you choose, is at least smart enough to tell you you screwed up after the
fact.  But the smarts to stop it, have not made it into fdisk yet, at
least not in the versions I can DL and install on a 10.04.4 LTS ubuntu.

So I'm going to go out and carve some more mahogany, at least I can see
progress there, and if I make a mistake, I can generally fix it, where
everyone here is convinced the partitioner in the installer is just fine.
Yes, it can install, but it cripples the disk its installed on if its a
4k/sector disk. I fail to see what is so difficult to understand here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)