Re: Was: Ric Moore

On Sunday 18 January 2015 17:11:55 Andrew M.A. Cater did opine
And Gene did reply:
> [...]
>
> An expert install in which you force the network addresses as I suggest
> should write /etc/network/interfaces correctly - which will
> effectively disable NM.
>
> > [Andy]
> >
> > > The key if you've stuff that's non standard is to do an Expert
> > > install.
> >
> > What is "non-standard" about an /etc/hosts file based network?
> > Nothing. I dare say it was invented long before dhcp.  And dns
> > servers.
>
> These days a lot of people pick up addresses via DHCP from wireless
> access points / 3G GSM dongles / a pool of addresses from a wired
> network - or just an ISP modem/router (though that will normally give
> you a very long lease so, effectively, a static address). That's for
> IPV4. IPV6 may give you effectively, a static address, automagically
> generated and based on machine characteristics.
>
> In that sense, a network of static addresses is now more unusual.
>
> > > The other disks will be useful if you ever have to bootstrap a
> > > complete machine without access to a network: apt-cdrom add is
> > > then used to add the disks to your machine so that the package
> > > management system understands whtihc packages are on which disk.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > >
> > > All the best,
> > >
> > > AndyC
> >
> > It would help immensely AndyC, IF that is how it actually worked.
> > Sadly, it has not. IIRC the last install where it worked was mandrake
> > on my now ancient lappy about a dozen years back.  Before network
> > mangler? Maybe...
>
> I've explained this in a few various posts over the years: if you have
> no network at all and have to install on a completely isolated
> machine, that's when you may need the 10 or more DVDs. Install a bare
> base system from the first one, add each disk via loop mount and
> apt-cdrom add.
>
> After that, you can add packages and apt-get will prompt you for disk
> changes ... that's about the _only_ time that you need all the disk
> images rather than the first DVD. If you need to generate DVDs after
> DVD3, use jigdo to build them from your nearest mirror.
>
> Me, I much prefer to use the netinst install. I do have fast broadband
> which really helps: there's also the fact that the install itself does
> a check on line so that all the latest base system updates are
> included by the time you reboot.
>
> > But, in the unlikely event it might, I will try that when I go to do
> > the next install, probably some time in the coming week as the
> > weather people are telling us to bring in our brass monkeys again.
> > Hopefully I can get some machining done on 2 big slabs of Mahogany
> > before then, but the cnc milling machine is located in an
> > un-insulated outbuilding with hopefully enough electrical heat to
> > keep it above the dew point.
>
> Good luck: be safe - electricity, even at 110V, and water / damp don't
> mix. Happy to help someone who's prepared to _do_ stuff so well.

As a C.E.T., with what used to be a 1st phone ticket until the commission
threw us under the bus, with an 8th grade education who has been lassoing
electrons to make them do useful work for the last 65 years, I have been
nailed several times, but each time he indicated he was not ready for me.
Once was pretty bad, put me horizontal with the shingles for about a
month.

Quite used to the safety precautions associated with high voltage power
supplies of the sort that can supply 20 kilovolts at a few hundred amps
under near short circuit conditions where the normal load is in the 10 amp
range.  Those can bump your lights from all the way across a town of
300,000. They have been my play toys for the 50 some years that I have in
as a broadcast engineer, with the last 18.75 years I worked, as the CE at
the tv station I use for an address.

I am in my element at a tv station where 3 or 4 papered & well paid EE's
are telling me it can't be done, until I push the button and it Just
Works(TM).  I love the sound of jaws hitting the floor when they realize
their education has been sadly lacking in teaching them the physics
involved with this stuff.  Being tested at 147 on the Iowa test 68+ years
ago hasn't hurt either. :) I was also blessed with a mother who was the
only girl in the Aviation Technology class at Des Moines Tech High in
1929.  If she didn't know the answer, she did know where the library was,
so I was reading high school physics books at the same time I was bored
because I also had to do McGuffy's Readers in a little country school at
the same time.

Now?  I'm just an old fart, trying to stay current.  Many Thanks for the
flowers.

> All the very best,
>
> AndyC

Thank you andyC.