Re: Was: Ric Moore

On Sunday 18 January 2015 05:40:43 Andrew M.A. Cater did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 03:38:25PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 January 2015 13:04:09 Clive Standbridge did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:
> > >
> > > Its name is wheezy. It's an update, not a new release. See:
> > > https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2015/msg00000.html

> > > It's a bit late now, but you might have had much lighter download
> > > using the network installation CD. Three DVDs is about 13GB; I
> > > doubt that most installations would be that big. With the network
> > > installation you boot from a CD (222MB download) which then
> > > downloads only the packages that will be installed. See
> > > https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
> >
> > Unfortunately, the last 9 debian/ubuntu flavored installs, on 4
> > machines here, have all ran up against Network-Mangler, which
> > promptly tore down
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Burn DVD1. As that boots, tab down to Advanced options, Expert Install
>
> [If you want other than Gnome, select alternative Desktop environments,
> then go back to select Expert install]
>
> At the question where it asks you if you want to configure networking
> automatically, say no and put in the values for your network.
>
> Work on through - at that point, you should have a machine that
> understands your network.

Oh it usually does, until the initial reboot, at which time network
mangler steps in and destroys your work. That leaves me no choice but to
emasculate its ability to change anything with a root session of chattr +i
on the appropriate files.  Frankly I fail to see why, if we are to be
stuck and even abused with this idiocy on our systems, why it can't first
issue one ping to a globally available site, and if no response in about a
second even if its halfway around this rock, then see what it can do about
it.  A proper response OTOH would indicate that the network exists and is
working, and it should go commit hari-kari by whatever means is suitable
until such time as the user invokes it to connect to a strange wifi.

But no, thats too damned simple so it will never be done.

> The key if you've stuff that's non standard is to do an Expert install.

What is "non-standard" about an /etc/hosts file based network?  Nothing. I
dare say it was invented long before dhcp.  And dns servers.

> The other disks will be useful if you ever have to bootstrap a complete
> machine without access to a network: apt-cdrom add is then used to add
> the disks to your machine so that the package management system
> understands whtihc packages are on which disk.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> All the best,
>
> AndyC

It would help immensely AndyC, IF that is how it actually worked.
Sadly, it has not. IIRC the last install where it worked was mandrake on
my now ancient lappy about a dozen years back.  Before network mangler?
Maybe...

But, in the unlikely event it might, I will try that when I go to do the
are telling us to bring in our brass monkeys again.  Hopefully I can get
some machining done on 2 big slabs of Mahogany before then, but the cnc
milling machine is located in an un-insulated outbuilding with hopefully
enough electrical heat to keep it above the dew point.

Yeah, you could call a JOAT.  Master of several but linux isn't that close
to the top of the list.  But I don't ask for the Senior discount anymore,
you get a lot more chuckles out of the counter help when you finish up
your take-out order with "and don't forget the old fart discount".  ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)