Re: [i3]Not able to get the reboot/suspend script work.

On Mon 31 Mar 2014 at 13:56:35 +0400, Dmitrii Kashin wrote:

> Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1691@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Right now I have lightdm installed. In my lightdm.conf file I have this
> > setting:
> > user-session: i3
> >
> > And lightdm starts my i3.
> >
> > So If I make a .~/.xsession will it clash with my setup right now?
>
> No. In case of lightdm the situation seems to be a bit different.
>
> I'm using XDM which uses an old-style variant of loading a graphical
> environment. XDM just executes /etc/X11/Xsession script that aims to
> start your window manager. In order to do it, it loads different files
> From user's home directory. One of them is "~/.xsession".

Lightdm also uses /etc/X11/Xsession, which does a lot more than starting
a window manager. However, it does source ~/.xsession.

> But lightdm uses the system of profiles that it calls (also)
> "sessions". If you want to use my solution with lightdm display manager,
> you should add a new profile which will execute /etc/X11/Xsession
> script.
>
> It will be some kind of this:
>
> ---------- /usr/share/xsessions/user-defined.desktop ----------
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=user defined session
> Exec=/etc/X11/Xsession

Once you feel you have to alter a system file to do something (which WM
to use?) which affects only one user you have lost it. Your ~/.xsession
is perfectly alright. Adding to /usr/share/xsessions or altering
lightdm.conf are not actions to be taken as a matter of course and are
usually not warranted.

May I suggest though that any mention of .Xdefaults in Debian should be
eradicated. The file name to use is .Xresources. Your stanza works but
it can be deleted because /etc/X11/Xsession loads .Xresources.