Re: Debian commercial support.

On 03/29/2014 09:29 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 3/29/2014 6:19 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 03/28/2014 08:29 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 3/28/2014 6:42 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 29/03/14 01:11, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 3/28/2014 6:35 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 28/03/14 21:08, Joel Rees wrote:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Jerry Stuckle
<jstuckle@attglobal.net
<mailto:jstuckle@attglobal.net>> wrote:

      On 3/26/2014 8:25 AM, John Hasler wrote:

          Jerry Stuckle writes:

              Debian consultants don't necessarily know how to
properly
              set up and
              maintain an e-commerce web site - it's a very
different
animal.

Debian consultants *should* know how to set up a Debian site. This
*is*
a Debian list. And the listed consultants is moderated. Unlike
numerous
lists of so-called consultants without provenance, verifiable company
status, unknown liability coverage, etc.

Debian consultants listed on the Debian sites as supporting ecommerce
(websites etc) *should* know how to setup Debian sites for ecommerce.

Setting up a Debian site is far different than setting up an
e-commerce
site.

And?
So?
What?

Many e-commerce sites *are* pure Debian.

Show me exactly what Debian packages are required to set up an ecommerce
site.  Complete and ready to go, of course.

Again, as I mentioned before, for a complete and ready to go working
site, use Proxmox and Turnkey Linux. Proxmox installs to bare metal, and
from it's interface chose from several HUNDRED canned websites that
merely require you add your password to the admin account. It doesn't
get any easier than that. And, as the added plus, they are all Debian
Wheezy based. But, you will not be running a desktop AND a website,
although you can run just about any distro via KVM within the Proxmox
running site. Journey to youtube and search on Proxmox. I'm a complete
idiot and I had my site up and running 5 containers in 30 minutes from
complete bare install. What was rocket science is now easy peasy. Ric

Proxmox is not an ecommerce package.  And Turnkey Linux is not a "pure
debian solution".

I think it might be better for Scott to decide, don't you? Proxmox is the base to install ecommerce packages onto, which Turnkey provides. Promox and Standard Turnkey packages are built on Debian Wheezy and both uses Debian for security updates, etc. So, how is it not "pure"? It's practically stock.

If he wants a "shopping cart":
TomatoCart: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/tomatocart
Online Shop osCommerce:  http://www.turnkeylinux.org/oscommerce
Zen Cart: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/zencart
PrestaShop: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/prestashop
Magneto: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/magento

If he wants to install CRM, there are about 5 to chose from. There's over a hundred other packages as well. They all run on the Proxmox installed base server, each in it's own VM, and by adding a second, third, and more servers, you create a cluster and with that you can graduate to adding NAS, and APC fencing to monitor everything. It's free to the taking. And all of it Debian Wheezy based. On top of that you have KVM as well.

I'm running WordPress and ownCloud on our server. Our staff can post files to ourCloud and I can link to the content in our website. I alone have access to WordPress, but files that are linked to within the website can be updated by staff, who have login priv to ourCloud, and it all runs on the same Promox server. I have more containers running that can only be accessed via our localnet, while Wordpress and ownCloud can be accessed both via localnet and the Internet via NAT through the router.

I am a perfect idiot, which might get some people's panties bunched as I'm not paying huge sums to get such things running with mostly mouse clicks and setting a password. Linux isn't SCARY any more. It's easier than running a Windows server. I haven't had to touch Apache!

But, if you need your hand held, Proxmox support runs about a grand a year, depending on the usual caveats. I actually have fun with it, for a change. My two cents, Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /