Re: Debian commercial support.

On 29/03/14 01:11, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 3/28/2014 6:35 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 28/03/14 21:08, Joel Rees wrote:
>>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net
>>> <mailto:jstuckle@attglobal.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      On 3/26/2014 8:25 AM, John Hasler wrote:
>>>
>>>          Jerry Stuckle writes:
>>>
>>>              Debian consultants don't necessarily know how to properly
>>>              set up and
>>>              maintain an e-commerce web site - it's a very different
>>> animal.
>>
>> Debian consultants *should* know how to set up a Debian site. This *is*
>> a Debian list. And the listed consultants is moderated. Unlike numerous
>> lists of so-called consultants without provenance, verifiable company
>> status, unknown liability coverage, etc.
>>
>> Debian consultants listed on the Debian sites as supporting ecommerce
>> (websites etc) *should* know how to setup Debian sites for ecommerce.
>>

> Setting up a Debian site is far different than setting up an e-commerce
> site.

And?
So?
What?

Many e-commerce sites *are* pure Debian.

> There are a *lot* of additional things a good e-commerce site
> developer needs to know besides how to set up a simple web server on
> Debian.

None that a suitably experienced and qualified Debian consultant can't
provide. PCI doesn't mandate the non-use of Debian.

<snipped>

>> If you're going to criticize at least offer a viable alternative *and*
>> check the list of Debian consultants before you declare the list is
>> useless.
>>

> First of all, I don't go by lists.

?

<snipped>

>> Did you check that fact before you pronounced it?
>> HINT: no you didn't. (there are a number of consultants on that list who
>> do offer managed ecommerce solutions).
>>

> Yes, I looked at the list (actually, I've used the list in the past,
> also, and recommended people for skills I don't have).

don't go by lists, do go by lists...

Your assertion that *no one* on that list, *or* the list of companies
offering debian web-hosting and e-commerce, can provide a solution to
the OP's question is irresponsible, uninformed, and tantamount to
slander. At the very least it calls into question your professional
standards.

<snipped>

> Jerry

Regards