Re: Debian commercial support.

On 28/03/14 21:08, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net
> <mailto:jstuckle@attglobal.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 3/26/2014 8:25 AM, John Hasler wrote:
>
>         Jerry Stuckle writes:
>
>             Debian consultants don't necessarily know how to properly
>             set up and
>             maintain an e-commerce web site - it's a very different animal.

Debian consultants *should* know how to set up a Debian site. This *is*
a Debian list. And the listed consultants is moderated. Unlike numerous
lists of so-called consultants without provenance, verifiable company
status, unknown liability coverage, etc.

Debian consultants listed on the Debian sites as supporting ecommerce
(websites etc) *should* know how to setup Debian sites for ecommerce.

>             If you're going to recommend a consultant, I would suggest it is
>             better to point him at some who are familiar with e-commerce.

If you're going to criticize at least offer a viable alternative *and*
check the list of Debian consultants before you declare the list is useless.

>         He didn't recommend a consultant.  He pointed out a list.  It is
>         up to
>         Mr. Evans to select one.
>

>     Yes, a list of DEBIAN consultants.  Not consultants who are familiar
>     with e-commerce solutions.

Did you check that fact before you pronounced it?
HINT: no you didn't. (there are a number of consultants on that list who
do offer managed ecommerce solutions).

>     That's like recommending a list of realtors when you want to buy a car.

No. Not close. Not even rationally comparable.

Recommending a list of Debian consultants as a starting place for
finding consultants who support *Debian* *and* *ecommerce* is an
excellent choice.
And by far better than the list you did *not* provide when criticizing it.

An alternative would have been to point the OP at a list of companies
that provide Debian and search it for a managed solution:-
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHosting

> mmmmm, well, if you had said it's like recommending a list of car
> salespersons to someone who needs to lease a fleet of trucks with
> service contracts, ...
>
> or a list of realtors to someone who is looking for commercial space in
> a mall, ...

:/

> --
> Joel Rees