Re: Debian commercial support.

On 3/28/2014 6:35 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 28/03/14 21:08, Joel Rees wrote:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net
<mailto:jstuckle@attglobal.net>> wrote:

     On 3/26/2014 8:25 AM, John Hasler wrote:

         Jerry Stuckle writes:

             Debian consultants don't necessarily know how to properly
             set up and
             maintain an e-commerce web site - it's a very different animal.

Debian consultants *should* know how to set up a Debian site. This *is*
a Debian list. And the listed consultants is moderated. Unlike numerous
lists of so-called consultants without provenance, verifiable company
status, unknown liability coverage, etc.

Debian consultants listed on the Debian sites as supporting ecommerce
(websites etc) *should* know how to setup Debian sites for ecommerce.

Setting up a Debian site is far different than setting up an e-commerce site. There are a *lot* of additional things a good e-commerce site developer needs to know besides how to set up a simple web server on Debian. Things like security, credit card processing (and the legal requirements, which are both contractual and legal jurisdiction specific), security (which is *DEFINITELY not minor - look at all the big companies with supposed "experts" who have gotten hacked!) and more.

An e-commerce site is pretty much os-neutral. I can take the exact same code, move it from a Debian host to Ubuntu or any other Linux host without change. I can even move it to a Windoze host - with no change (not that I ever would unless absolutely forced to do so :) ).

             If you're going to recommend a consultant, I would suggest it is
             better to point him at some who are familiar with e-commerce.

If you're going to criticize at least offer a viable alternative *and*
check the list of Debian consultants before you declare the list is useless.

First of all, I don't go by lists. I know other consultants who are also experienced in e-commerce. You won't find any of them on any of these lists, either. And just because I don't give a list of consultants does NOT make your list any more viable.

I would *never* hire an e-commerce consultant from a list. I would find who in my area also has an e-commerce site, find out who they use, how happy they are with the consultant, then check the consultant's credentials (also checking with clients they list). E-commerce can be profitable, but it can get you in serious legal trouble if not done properly.

And not knowing what the OP wants or what he has to spend, I might just recommend Amazon. Don't laugh - I know several people who are successful to some degree or another on it. And it's a lot cheaper than paying someone to build a site from scratch.

         He didn't recommend a consultant.  He pointed out a list.  It is
         up to
         Mr. Evans to select one.

     Yes, a list of DEBIAN consultants.  Not consultants who are familiar
     with e-commerce solutions.

Did you check that fact before you pronounced it?
HINT: no you didn't. (there are a number of consultants on that list who
do offer managed ecommerce solutions).

Yes, I looked at the list (actually, I've used the list in the past, also, and recommended people for skills I don't have). But also, see above.

     That's like recommending a list of realtors when you want to buy a car.

No. Not close. Not even rationally comparable.

Completely close. I know of some realtors who, when the housing crunch hit here in 2008-2009, ended up moonlighting by selling cars, just to make ends meet. The required skills aren't that different (although the knowledge required is, obviously). But I think most of them have gone back into real estate now.

Recommending a list of Debian consultants as a starting place for
finding consultants who support *Debian* *and* *ecommerce* is an
excellent choice.
And by far better than the list you did *not* provide when criticizing it.

Once again, see above.

An alternative would have been to point the OP at a list of companies
that provide Debian and search it for a managed solution:-
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHosting

And again, see above.

mmmmm, well, if you had said it's like recommending a list of car
salespersons to someone who needs to lease a fleet of trucks with
service contracts, ...

or a list of realtors to someone who is looking for commercial space in
a mall, ...

:/

--
Joel Rees