Re: Time Zone Questions

On 21/03/2014 09:38, Lisi Reisz wrote:

It is standard "good practice" to keep system time ("hardware clock")
at UTC, and desktop time can be local time if you wish.

Hadn't realised any of this, so thank you. If 'system time' and 'desktop time' differ - such as is suggested - what 'timestamp' is put on files when they are created? And does this differ whether the files are on NFS, and on another server? Is there an implication, here, that if a site uses desktop and system times (that differ) on one machine (a laptop, say), then 'all' the machines on the network, especially the file servers, must be configured that way?

(I could see this being an issue for timestamps on backups across NFS, and on Dovecot which is very sensitive to time changes.)

I've not yet read the tzdata readme, which may discuss some of this, but I will do so, likely after office hours, though.

regards, Ron