Re: Time Zone Questions

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
> What is the difference between the 3 versions of various time zone
> files? I live in the US-Central time zone and wanted to set a debian
> system to London time which means replacing /etc/localtime to the file
> that coresponds to London. That's when I discovered that there are 3
> Londons and 3 Chicagos.

That's due to the 35 second difference between TAI and UTC. (The latter
approximates UT1 (earth revolution about its axis), and the former is
absolute time in SI seconds).

You can read about it in /usr/share/doc/tzdata/README.Debian.

> I want to record some radio programs and DST and BST don't start and
> stop at the same times.

The way you do this is you start whatever you're using to record the
programs with TZ="Europe/London" instead of changing /etc/localtime
(which should really be in UTC anyway).

"What, now?"
"Soon equates to good, later to worse, Uagen Zlepe, scholar.
Therefore, immediacy."
  -- Iain M. Banks _Look to Windward_ p 213