Re: Time Zone Questions

On 21/03/2014 02:58, Don Armstrong wrote,
very interestingly:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
That's when I discovered that there are 3
Londons and 3 Chicagos.

That's due to the 35 second difference between TAI and UTC. (The latter
approximates UT1 (earth revolution about its axis), and the former is
absolute time in SI seconds).

Is UTC the one which has odd seconds inserted from time to time (because the Earth's rotation is neither constant, nor does it fit complete seconds)? Or does the Debian UTC not pick up the 'odd-seconds' adjustments?

You can read about it in /usr/share/doc/tzdata/README.Debian.

Thank you; didn't know about this, and am looking forward to reading that.

When I have 'time'.  :)

I want to record some radio programs and DST and BST don't start and
stop at the same times.

The way you do this is you start whatever you're using to record the
programs with TZ="Europe/London" instead of changing /etc/localtime

Seems neat advice. And London is going to shift from UTC to its local daylight saving time, British summer Time, BST, sometime in the next week or so.

(which should really be in UTC anyway).

Oh. Should it? Why shouldn't the OP's system be in Chicago time, not UTC, if he's going to use a TZ= modifier to run his London (UTC) activity?

Be very interested to better understand why you recommend this.

regards, Ron