Re: Great Debian experience

On Jo, 20 mar 14, 21:51:25, Ken Heard wrote:

> Since reading your post I discovered that the latest kernel now
> available is 3.12-0.bpo.1-amd64 which I will now install.  There are
> other kernels mentioned in wheezy-backports labelled "pae".  Since I
> don't know what that means I will avoid them.  Thanks for the tip.

What do you mean by "mentioned in wheezy-backports"? If you mean
packages.debian.org, then yes, they will be displayed. However, if you
are running amd64 (64 bit) instead of i386 (32 bit) those kernels will
not be available for you to install via apt-get.

If you are running i386 then, depending on your processor, you have a
choice of three kernel flavours:

-486: for older processors, 32 bit
-686-pae: for newer processors, 32 bit
-amd64: 64 bit

You should normally run the kernel closest to your processor's
capabilities, unless you have specific issues (e.g. last time I tried it
virtualbox on i386 didn't run on the amd64 kernel).

Hope this explains,
Andrei