Re: Great Debian experience

On 20/03/14 22:29, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net
> <mailto:zen@freedbms.net>> wrote:
>
> On 3/20/14, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com
> <mailto:bartek047@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>> Here's some guidelines to reduce install/run problems.
>
>> 2. Motherboard and graphic card chips can be a problem in general,
>>  new or old. I try to stick with nVidia, Realtek and AMD.  I avoid
>> Intel and Broadcom, particularly the newest chips.  Older ones are
>> less a problem.

nVidia don't have a great track record of working with Linux - that is
changing though (thanks Steam).

> I don't have experience with desktops/servers, but on laptops (at
> least Lenovo), Intel is a fine option, and in my experience mostly
> just works. Of course, YMMV.

I've often wondered if that's because so much of their income comes from
whiteboards rather than altruism.

>> 4. Stick with manufacturers who overtly support Linux.

Support manufacturers who support Linux - by releasing the source code
to their hardware? (many of the major companies sponsor Linux
development - and even so they *don't* release the source code to their
hardware)

Buy hardware that's known to be supported by Linux. e.g. do a quick
Google for "linux $hardware" and look for posts asking for help - a
scarcity of such request generally indicates support. Avoid buying
"cutting edge" hardware (it's an uncomfortable place to sit). As has
elsewhere been noted - it (generally) takes a few years for Linux to
support hardware (time from itch to scratch?). The other benefit is that
by the time you buy that hardware most of the glitches will have become
apparent and fixed e.g. mb revisions, BIOS updates.

I try and buy boards I know are supported by Coreboot.

Often the gains from buying the latest hardware are negligible. One of
the advantages of Linux over commercial OS is that it leverages more
from older hardware.

> Which certainly includes Intel (these days) in a pretty big way!

Increasingly hardware manufacturers are having to listen to
software developers. Steam and other game companies, and the decline of
M$'s influence are changing the status quo. nVidia is an example.

> Sort of.
>
> I find Intel's dual personality a little, should I say, worrisome?
>
> Intel's track record on support is good in obvious areas, not so
> great in less obvious areas, and, well, less-than-helpful in the
> areas that are shaping up to be tomorrow's battlefields in

> the intellectual paucity wars.

wars of over the paucity of intellectual property?(?)

> Near as I can tell.

FWIW I agree.

> -- Joel Rees
>
> Be careful where you see conspiracy. Look first in your own heart.

Kind regards

--

The most important thing in the programming language is the name. A
language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently invented