Re: Security Implications of running startx from command line - was Re: Startx: was Great Debian experience

On Thu 20 Mar 2014 at 12:44:21 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> > Yeah, when making a machine for a less technical or less command-prompt
> > comfortable person, I like to have it boot into GUI via the desktop
> > manager. But when setting it up for myself or for people technically
> > sharp enough to log in and then type "startx" (and people you can
> > trust with the command prompt), I like to boot to the command prompt.
>
> When logging in at the Linux console (on current kernels at least),
> then running startx, there is a security problem:
>
> b) type Ctrl-Alt-F1 (for example), followed by Ctrl-C to kill your gui
> session, notwithstanding if you even have it gui locked

Use the Force, Zenaan:

   man xorg

and then

   Ctrl+Alt+F1...F12
        For systems with virtual terminal support, these keystroke
        combinations are used to switch to virtual terminals 1
        through 12, respectively. This can be disabled with the
        DontVTSwitch xorg.conf(5) file  option.