Re: Flash problems

Op 16-12-14 om 17:57 schreef Jape Person:
> On 12/16/2014 11:32 AM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>
>> Look good when you buy hardware. I don't use non-free drivers, that's
>> not a big problem. But sometimes I use non-free firmware and microcode.
>
> I've never looked good when buying hardware. I have no sense of style.
>
> But seriously, I've been careful, but it's pretty hard to find notebooks
> that have the capabilities I want without at least having to install one
> (usually wifi) driver.

When using a newer Linux kernel, most wifi adapters have a driver.
I think you mean non-free firmware.

In my opinion non-free firmware in wifi cards is something else. A
manufacturer could also use a ROM where they flashed it in, then loading
the firmware was not necessary. That code is not running on the main
processor.  Of cause I like free firmware more, like some more difficult
to find wifi cards offer.

But a wifi with free drivers is easy to find.

>>> Gnash disappeared from testing a little while ago, and the lightspark
>>> plugin doesn't play anything, anywhere, ever for me.
>>>
>>> Makes me happy that html5 is beginning to catch on.
>>>
>>> I agree that gnash was pretty frumpy, but I could at least play videos
>>> at youtube. Not sure what folks using Jessie are supposed to do for
>>> flash besides go nonfree.
>>
>> Most sites, including Youtube, are working fine with HTML5.
>
> I should check that out. I don't really spend much time there except to
> look for classical piano music. For at least a while after introduction
> of html5 they had not yet converted much of the media to that kind of
> streaming. Is everything converted now?

So far I saw on Youtube: yes.  And this is the case for most sites.

But I have seen sites where some older video's where not accessible and
where they ask for flash. Strange enough, it did sometimes help to
refresh the browser, sometimes it played then without problems.

Realize that tablets and smartphones don't offer flash too.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl