Re: change subject of emails on ISP's IMAP server

Curt <curty@free.fr> writes:

> On 2014-12-16, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently, this is what imapfilter will do. You'll need to write a lua
>>> script to tell it what to do, but it looks like it comes with some
>>> hackable examples.
>>
>> Thanks.  I see the following example in some of the imapfilter docs.  I'll
>
> The problem I see is that once imapfilter fetches the message, processes
> it, and uploads it to the same mailbox, what is to prevent your ISP from
> prepending ***UNCHECKED*** to the header of the message once again,
> seeing that it will be just as unscannable as before?
>
> Or will it not be scanned a second time or something?

It depends on where in the process the ISP does the scanning.

>From experience, they usually do that in the delivery process, either up
front at the start of the SMTP transaction, or in the delivery phase
(with either LMTP, or an MDA).

I've not heard of ISPs who scan mail in IMAP transactions.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.