Re: How is typical home computer used today?

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 1:30:04 AM UTC+5:30, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 11:53:48 -0500
> Miles Fidelman wrote:
>
> > Chris Bannister wrote:
> > > Surely. to get a useful answer, it is pointless to ask vague
> > > questions.

> > > That doesn't read correctly phrased to me.
> > >

> > Does it not disturb anyone that most of the responses to this
> > question have been about how the question was phrased, even though
> > the intent was obvious.  What does it say about folks who post here?
> >

> That they are computer people.
>
> 'How do I do X?'
>
> 'You don't want to do X. You *never* want to do X. You need to do Y.
> And by the way, you spelled X wrong.'

Personally, when I ask a question and get a RTFM answer,
I consider it fine if its followed by which FM.

I do not construe that answer as
- "I dont like you"
or even
- "your question is stupid"

Rather I interpret it as
"I have 10 seconds to deal with your question. If I use that to
send you (to specific FM) my (1-second) estimate tells me it will
save an hour of your noob-time. [We are all noobs somewhere sometime]"

However when there is NO FM it is unhelpful.
It does not help the questioner
It does not help the list -- almost spamish in content-less-ness
It does not help the answerer -- shows them to be peevish without
being helpful.

I think Miles is pointing out that this (and many other such)
questions are increasingly being answered in category 2