Re: How is typical home computer used today?

On 11/12/2014, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2014 19:39:41 Paul E Condon wrote:
>> 2. 'Multi-seat' is several seats, which could only imply several persons
>>    occupying those (several) seats.
>
> Yes, and all connected to a single somputer, but with two or more keyboards,
>
> monitors etc., logged in simultaneously.  Becoming more common in schools
> etc, though usually now through a thin client rather than connected directly
>
> to the one computer.  This last still happens, though.
>
> Lisi

And, what is the difference, then, between a "Multi-seat" computer,
and, a multi-user computer?

I have used various multi-user operating systems, ovver the years,
some with dumb terminals, some with "smart(?) terminals", and, some
where a dumb terminal was connected to a multi-user computer, which
was networked to another multiuser computer; one such instance, was an
IBM-based network, where a multiuser IBM computer (I forget which
specific model) was networked to an IBM 3081, and, on another network,
using a DEC RTSTS/e system running on a DEC PDP 11/44, and.via that
and the associated network, linked to a VAX 11, running VAX-VMS.

I had, some years earlier than that, (late 1970's, I think, used
MS-DOS 3 or 3.3 computers that were networked to a VAX running BSD
4.2.

Computers generally do not include seating, but, increasingly, can
service multiple users, either concurrently, or, separately, using
multiple accounts.

Many years ago, I was able to dial in to a computer, using my PC-XT,
to access UNIX (the host person, had set it up, top enable people to
gain experience, using UNIX), and, via that, the AARNet, I think it
was.

Now, we have computers, wherein, we can have multiple accounts, so
that different users can use the same computer, at different times, in
"the same seat", using the "switch user" facility, so that multiple
accounts can be open that the same time, on the same computer. Or, we
can access them, simultaneously, using something like telnet (and ftp,
and, I think, rsh, etc, etc, etc).

So, the term "Multi-seat", appears to be a malapropism, and, I
suggest, should be replaced, in usage, by the more correct term;
"multi-user", which is a far more established, and, more respectable
term.

Surely, it would have all been so much simpler, if the original poster
in the thread, had put the question "To what personal uses, do people
put their computers?".

People use "home computers" for multiple roles, including personal
uses, work, administering other computers, etc, etc, etc.

And, people use work computers, for personal use, whether they take
their (now, more portable) work computers home, and use the work
computers at home, or at work, or, on busines trips, and, sometimes
the computers (work computers, and, "personal computers", or, "home
computers"), for mixed uses, simultaneously, playing games, while
waiting for a work application to load, or, checking work email, while
searching for personal material on the World Wide Web, etc, etc, etc.

And, then, we have the scenario, where a person works from home; so,
thence, is a computer used there, a "work computer", or, a "home
computer"?

So, why the original poster in this thread, did not make all of this,
so much simpler, by simply asking the question "To what personal uses,
do people put their computers?", I do not know, especially, if the
answer to that question, is the information that was being sought.

Thus, I reiterate (I do not use the word "repeat", in this context, as
that tends to mean, "Fire the artillery (or, other firearms) again");
see the quote in my signature; and, ensure that the question being
put, is the appropriate question.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale