Re: change subject of emails on ISP's IMAP server

On 20141213_1034-0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:47:55PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> > On 12/12/2014 at 08:53 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > > When my ISP encounters an email that it cannot scan for viruses, it
> > > prepends ***UNCHECKED*** to the subject.  This occurs on every
> > > encrypted email I receive.  It's highly annoying, and the ISP refuses
> > > to fix this.
> > >
> > > What tools can I use to detect this tag and delete it?  I'd prefer
> > > to modify the subject of the email as it resides on my ISP's IMAP
> > > server. But if I have to rely on my email client (mutt) to do that,
> > > that's ok too I guess.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions would be welcome.
> >
> > The last time I mentioned wanting to do something like this, what was
> > recommended to me was procmail, which would sit between the upstream
> > server and your mail client.
> >
> I thought procmail wouldn't work, because the mail doesn't actually
> reside on my system.  But I'll look into it.  Like you said, it may lead
> me down the path to alternatives.
>
> -Rob

In addition to procmail, you need a remote login account on which you
can execute command line programs on your ISP's computer.

(It is very unlikely that they offer this service given their attitude
about messing with the headers in your email.)

You can run procmail on your ISP's computer. In the procmailrc, write
a filter that passes the incoming email through program, formail,
which is a general purpose email reformatter, which you use to send
each email through the program, sed, the stream editor and have sed
apply the 'sed s command', 's|***UNCHECKED***||' to each email.

If you can string all this together on your ISP's computer, it will
delete *all* instances of ***UNCHECKED*** wherever thet occur in
emails.

In theory, it can be done but it seems like an awful lot of work with
very little payoff ;-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net