Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 December 2014 at 18:05, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Dec 2014, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Very few do not include systemd. I'd welcome a definitive list of
>>> those that don't.
>>
>> As as option at install time or during an upgrade?  Don't know of any.
>
> That do not include systemd as a package.
>>
>> As far as I've read, I believe only Slackware absolutely refuses to use
>> systemd.  I don't even think it's in the repo.  I don't know if systemd
>> will even work with Slackware.
>
> Um, I've heard that said before - but I like to check my facts
> (especially when issues are emotive, *and* when outside parties may
> have an interest in creating dissension and disorder), so I've read
> Patrick's opinions[*1]. He's never said that (though I'd welcome an
> authoritive correction). Understandably cautious for someone who
> manages a huge workload almost single-handedly.
> He has said he intends to remain with the current init system - that
> he likes some of the abilities of systemd, and that "one day" he may
> move to systemd.[*1] Which is not close to "absolutely refuses to use
> systemd".
>
> [*1]:-
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/interviews-28/interview-with-patrick-volkerding-of-slackware-949029/

Let's quote a little bit more of that, just for completeness:

----------------------------------
... Whether we end up using them or not remains to be seen. It's quite
possible that we won't end up having a choice in the matter depending
on how development that's out of our hands goes. It's hard to say
whether moving to these technologies would be a good thing for
Slackware overall. Concerning systemd, I do like the idea of a faster
boot time (obviously), but I also like controlling the startup of the
system with shell scripts that are readable, and I'm guessing that's
what most Slackware users prefer too. I don't spend all day rebooting
my machine, and having looked at systemd config files it seems to me a
very foreign way of controlling a system to me, and attempting to
control services, sockets, devices, mounts, etc., all within one
daemon flies in the face of the UNIX concept of doing one thing and
doing it well.

That, and some tweets that are more recent than this interview, leaves
me with a slightly different impression than neutral wait-and-see.

[...]

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well.