Re: Why focus on systemd?

On 29 November 2014 at 07:05, lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> writes:

<snipped>

>> On 22/11/14 20:50, lee wrote:
>>>
>>> Didier,
>>>
>>> you have *totally* missed the OPs point.
>>>
>>> BTW, since you assume that no "systemd takeover"
>>
>> Hyperbole much?
>
> ?

"the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device"

>>> what has been the outcome of the GR to support multiple
>>> init systems?
>>
>> It lost. Developers are not being forced to do what they don't want.
>> The winner was "developers will work it out themselves" i.e. Debian won.
>
> Huh?  Does that mean that the users are left to deal themselves with the
> problems that could arise from this?
>
>>> Other than that, the OP has a good point.  I found that every time
>>> something is related to the freedesktop stuff,
>>
>> Freedesktop just provides hosting. Substitute Sourceforge for
>> Freedesktop and see how well your "theory" flies.
>
> "freedesktop.org is open source / open discussion software projects
> working on interoperability and shared technology for X Window System
> desktops. The most famous X desktops are GNOME and KDE, but developers
> working on any Linux/UNIX GUI technology are welcome to participate."[1]

How does that demonstrate that the systemd project is not "hosted" by
freedesktop.org?

Did your lips get sore or did you not quote the very next paragraph
for other reasons?

<quote>
Software

freedesktop.org hosts any "on-topic" software projects</quote>

> [1]: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>
>>>  it's not understandable

>>> at all because the documentation utterly sucks or doesn't even exist.
>>> It's an entirely dead end.
>>>
>>> Do we really need or want that?  If we need it, what for?  If we want
>>> it, wouldn't we be much better off using Windows?
>>
>> Please replace "we" with "I" - it gives the misleading impression you
>> speak for the vast majority when you only speak for yourself.
>
> Please learn to read and to understand what you're reading, and you may
> find that I was asking questions.

You could learn a lot about yourself by eating your own dog food.

> To draw a map for you, try replacing
> "we" with "users".

Save your crayons. I'm a Debian user. I "wouldn't be better off using
Windows". You speak only for your self, not "everybody" (or even a
significant majority) and it would be presumptuous to believe
otherwise don't you think?

>> Note that opposition to *the choice* of using systemd 'probably'
>> constitutes less than 1% of users. Noise, repetition, and FUD doesn't:-
>> ;increase that percentage
>> ;give you credibility
>> ;justify your bullying
>> and works against those that have genuine problems with systemd.
>
> And why do you mention this here?

To provide constructive advice on "how to get along with a
*community*. Not in the expectation that everyone cares. "Community"
includes all sorts, including minorities that many don't want to
embrace.

<snipped>

>> The appropriate, polite way to deal with things you don't like - is
>> speak *once* and state your case fully when you do. It's healthy to
>> express concerns - it's unhealthy, to all, when you flood forums with
>> them. The means justifies the ends - and bullying doesn't end well.

<snipped example of how not to act>

Kind regards